Start Getting Answers Now!

Read Some of Our Most Frequently Asked Questions.
  • Q:What Are the Grounds for Divorce in California?

    A:California is a "No Fault" divorce state, which means that you do not need to have a specific reason to file for divorce and only need to state that irreconcilable differences have arisen in the marriage. While there are additional grounds for dissolution of marriage, the most commonly alleged basis is irreconcilable differences because no proof or evidence is required to obtain a Judgment of Dissolution. One must simply state that the marriage is irretrievably broken and the court will grant the dissolution, even if the other spouse does not agree or wish to be divorced.

  • Q:What Do I Do When I'm Served With Divorce Papers in CA?

    A:If you are served with Dissolution papers you should immediately consult with a lawyer. A lawyer can help assist in understanding what is being requested and sought by the petitioner and can provide important and necessary advice and guidance to protect your interests and rights. A lawyer can advise as to what actions are immediately necessary and help you ascertain whether you should retain a lawyer to represent you in the proceedings.

  • Q:What Happens After a Divorce Case Is Filed?

    A:After a dissolution case is filed, the responding party must be served with the dissolution pleadings. The respondent (with a few exceptions) must be personally served with the Petition and associated documents. The respondent then has 30 days to file a Response. If a Response is not filed within that time frame the petitioner may seek to obtain a Judgment by default. If a timely Response is filed, the case proceeds forward. At this stage either party may request and set a hearing date seeking temporary court orders or, if necessary, seeking emergency court orders. Such orders are most commonly sought on the issues of child custody/visitation, child support and spousal support, but may also be sought on a number of other issues which require some initial determination during the pending case. Additionally, this is the time period in which each side may conduct "discovery" (by way of depositions, document requests, interrogatories, etc.) requesting information and documentation from the other side. Each party is required to fill out and provide to the other side documents disclosing regarding assets and debts and their current income and expenses. Negotiation and settlement discussions may occur at any time throughout the proceedings. The parties may participate in a Settlement Conference at the court with a Judge or settlement conference officer assisting counsel and the parties in an attempt to achieve settlement. If the case does not settle in its entirety, the case proceeds to trial on any contested issues remaining.

  • Q:How Long Does It Take to Get Divorced in California?

    A:The earliest that a person's marital status can be terminated is six months and one day from the date the respondent is served with the dissolution paperwork. While it is possible to complete a dissolution case in less than six months, the Judgment of Dissolution will set the date for the termination of the parties' marital status, at earliest, six months and one day from the date the Petition was served. More frequently, a case is not completed within six months. In those cases, it is possible, upon proper application to the court, to "bifurcate" the issues of the case whereby the court terminates the parties' marital status before resolving all other issues. In such cases the case remains active and pending until the remaining issues are resolved by settlement or trial.

  • Q:How Are Court Orders Enforced in California?

    A:There are several different avenues in which a court order may be enforced. To immediately address a violation that is occurring, such as a failure to return a child following a visitation (or the reverse situation where the custodial parent does not produce the child for visitation), the aggrieved party may call the police and report the violation. The police may assist in enforcing the court order, or they may just write an incident report, or the police may do nothing at all. Additionally, a party may file a contempt proceeding charging the other party with contempt of the court order. In such a proceeding, the matter is treated as a criminal proceeding with the filing party acting as the prosecutor who must prove the violation to the court by a very high standard of proof ("beyond a reasonable doubt"). The offending party is called the defendant in such a proceeding and is entitled to all the same protections as a criminal defendant such as the right to remain silent and the right to an attorney. If the contempt is proven, the offending party is convicted of contempt and may be sentenced to up to five days in jail for each count of contempt that is proven. Other enforcement options include wage assignments (for child and spousal support orders), wage garnishment, as well as a number of additional remedies and options imposed by Judicial Officers.

  • Q:How Are Court Orders Modified in California?

    A:A party wishing to modify or change an existing court order must file an Order to Show Cause re: Modification. The types of orders that are usually subject to modification are orders involving minor children such as custody, visitation and child support, as well as orders for spousal support. Orders made regarding the division of assets and debts pursuant to Judgment are intended to be permanent, binding and non-modifiable orders unless otherwise stated in the Judgment.Whether or not a court will modify a previous court order is a complex and complicated issue with the outcome determined by past and present circumstances, whether or not the current order is a "temporary" order or considered a "permanent" order, burden of proof issues, as well as statutory and case law pertinent to the specific issues raised by the modification request.

  • Q:What Are the Benefits of Mediation?

    A:Retaining a lawyer to mediate rather than litigate your divorce proceedings has many advantages. First, the cost is significantly cheaper. Second, a mediator can provide valuable, unbiased perspective and insight into the rights and desires of both parties involved in the divorce. Third, mediation records are private and confidential. Finally, the process is much more efficient and less painstaking than going to court. Our experienced mediation lawyers can advice you and your former spouse in a way that places both of your best interests at the forefront of the conversation.

  • Q:How Does Mediation Work?

    A:Third-party mediators are extremely knowledgeable about the legal framework of divorce and can guide others through the necessary proceedings outside of court. During a mediation session, they can ascertain where the interests of the divorcing parties lie as well as view scenarios in ways that may not have been previously considered. The mediator facilitates but does not make any decisions on behalf of the former couple. Decisions only become final when both parties agree. Mediation is only recommended for situations in which both parties are willing to negotiate, however. If a relationship is particularly contentious or one-sided, mediation is likely the wrong path.

Real Families. Real Stories.

Hear From Past Clients 
  • “Very professional and knowledgeable team. They always returned calls and provided thorough and helpful information. I would recommend this attorney and his team.”

    - Bob W.
  • “I had a great experience with him and he made me feel confident. I've never had someone legally represent me within the three years of my difficult case. I will 100% come to him again this summer to ...”

    - Erica M.
  • “Our family is ever so grateful for Mr. Shedwill's honest expert professional, and very caring services. He was fast, efficient, effective, and victorious in the solution of our Family Protective ...”

    - Lisette L.
  • “He understands my needs and agreed to save me money instead of wasting my money.”

    - Former Client
  • “Mr. Shedwill is the type of lawyer that I feel fits my needs perfectly. He has great character and that is very important to me.”

    - Former Client

What Distinguishes
 Jamison Shedwill?

  • Your Well-Being Put First

    You will have an advocate working to protect you and your children by putting out the fires in your family. Not starting them.

  • Trusted Counsel

    You will receive information, options, and guidance throughout the whole process.

  • Work Directly With Jamison Shedwill

    You will always work directly with Jamison Shedwill who is an experienced attorney and who knows and understands your family's situation.

Schedule Your Free Consultation Today!

Jamison Shedwill works directly with families to avoid the situation of Judge, a complete stranger to the situation, making orders that can radically affect the lives of his clients and their children. He works to protect families and to ensure that the well-being of the whole family is maintained.

2914 E. Katella Ave.,
Suite 211
Orange, CA 92867
Map & Directions [+]

Contact Us 714-453-4727

Start Getting Trusted Legal Counsel Today!

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.